Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ugh...

Day 5: Piss and Vinegar

UGH. Five days into this thing and I'm already wanting to quit. Presently, I'm all kinds of stuck with what's going on with my characters and I'm now debating whether to alter the premise. The more I start to develop Jack, the less likely he seems to have any motivation for wanting to write or pursue anything artistic. This is a guy whose spent most of his undergraduate career drinking and I just don't see him possessing a desire for creative expression.

I've thought about having him write in order to get into some girl's pants, but that seems cliche. I've also thought about moving the story into a different direction and incorporating more adventurous elements. Hell, even in just expressing that thought right now, I'm feeling like that's a better route. Luckily, I did get a decent amount of writing in today, so I'm upbeat about that. I think I'll see if I can outline more of the plot. I think I need to figure out where I'm going before I can go any farther than poor Jack's shitty dorm room.

Speaking of rooms, I seriously need to light a fire under my ass and organize my desk before the new semester starts. I've been given an extension my article for Teacher Ed, which has taken some of the pressure off of my research. While its at least a subject matter I enjoy (graphic novels) I really would like to be done with Teacher Ed now and be getting started on focusing on the English program. On that note, I'm a little concerned with managing the coursework with my novel and this blog. But, I've committed to this, so I'll keep on keeping on.

Current Project: The Muse
Pages Complete: 1.5/???
Album Completion: 2.5%

No comments:

Post a Comment